Will A Prior Minor Charge Aggravate A Current Criminal Charge?

  • otmseo,
  •   Criminal Offenses
  •   Comments Off on Will A Prior Minor Charge Aggravate A Current Criminal Charge?

Virginia: A prior conviction will be held against a person if they are subsequently charged with another crime during their lifetime. Virginia is considered by most attorneys to be one of the toughest states in the country when it comes to criminal and criminal a traffic law; so the answer to this question is, yes! To a  … Read more

What Percentage of Criminal Cases Go To Trial

  • otmseo,
  •   Criminal Offenses
  •   Comments Off on What Percentage of Criminal Cases Go To Trial

It is commonly accepted that no more than about 5 percent of all criminal cases [Misdemeanors and Felonies], ever go to trial. The other 95 per cent of cases are either dismissed, or a plea bargain is arranged between the defendant, their attorney and the prosecutor for a final compromised disposition – which usually results  … Read more

Anatomy Of The Criminal Process In Virginia

  • otmseo,
  •   Criminal Offenses
  •   Comments Off on Anatomy Of The Criminal Process In Virginia

“A STEP – BY- STEP ANATOMY OF THE CRIMINAL PROCESS IN VIRGINIA” Be Quiet and Don’t Talk The first thing everyone should do, especially if they’re stopped or contacted by the police, is to keep quiet and not talk to the police or anyone about their situation, [except maybe their “significant other” that you can  … Read more

BAIL: What is The Bail Process and How Does That Work

  • otmseo,
  •   Uncategorized
  •   Comments Off on BAIL: What is The Bail Process and How Does That Work

BAIL: Constitutionally? Simply an old-fashioned word that means “Promise”. Constitutionally, everyone is theoretically entitled to Bond; when charged with a criminal act; which is simply an old-fashioned word that means “Promise”. Virtually, everyone who is arrested will have some form of bond. In Virginia, for a fairly low or medium level crime, if the person lives  … Read more

Do Police or Prosecutors Ever “Overcharge” People?

  • otmseo,
  •   Uncategorized
  •   Comments Off on Do Police or Prosecutors Ever “Overcharge” People?

The Simple Answer is Yes! Police or Prosecutors Do “Overcharge” People It depends on the jurisdiction, the person’s actions, and their prior criminal record, if any; but yes, sometimes. In fact, in some jurisdictions, they do the opposite. They “Undercharge” a person. If somebody is caught with marijuana, of course they’ll be charged with possession of  … Read more

Mercy of the Court|Criminal Lawyers VA NovaLegalgroup, P.C.

  • otmseo,
  •   Uncategorized
  •   Comments Off on Mercy of the Court|Criminal Lawyers VA NovaLegalgroup, P.C.

CAN PEOPLE DEPEND ON THE “MERCY OF THE COURT” IN A CRIMINAL CASE? The idea of throwing oneself on the “Mercy of the Court” is just a cliché; there is no substance to it whatsoever! People who say, “I’m going to throw myself on the mercy of the court”, don’t even know what it means.  … Read more

Are You Being Charged With A Criminal Offense?

  • otmseo,
  •   Criminal Offenses
  •   Comments Off on Are You Being Charged With A Criminal Offense?

How Do People Generally Discover If They Are Being Charged With A Criminal Offense? Well, frankly, most people know they’re being charged with a criminal offense when they directly receive a “Summons” from the police in their motor vehicle or otherwise, or receive a “Warrant of Arrest” from the police or a Magistrate at the  … Read more

Criminal Offense Advice: How People Hurt Their Own Case

  • otmseo,
  •   Criminal Offenses
  •   Comments Off on Criminal Offense Advice: How People Hurt Their Own Case

Criminal Offense Advice: The #1 Most  Damaging mistake People Make That Can Hurt Their Case The number one mistake that people make who are charged with any criminal matter is that they simply talk too much. In America, we are raised to be courteous and pleasant, to assume and be taught that the police are  … Read more

How Do Criminal Records For Low Level Offenses Affect People

  • otmseo,
  •   Criminal Offenses
  •   Comments Off on How Do Criminal Records For Low Level Offenses Affect People

Low Level Criminal Records: The harsh reality! Low level criminal records can and will affect you at a deeper personal level than you may at first imagine. People can be affected in a thousand different ways by a charge, arrest or a conviction record, particularly in the Northern Virginia area, because virtually everyone in Northern Virginia  … Read more

Criminal Charges Misconceptions

Common Misconceptions About Criminal Charges There are many misconceptions about criminal law and criminal charges, one of which is the role that Public Defenders play. A person qualifies for a public defender or court appointed counsel by being financially unable to retain a private attorney [read, below the poverty line], then that is the attorney  … Read more